May 2017 MAARC Monthly Meeting
- Hits: 812
RadioActivity 2017 Old Equipment Contest (OEC)
Selection of the theme for each of MAARC’s annual summertime grand meets (called RadioActivity since about 1994) is always a challenge. The directors of the club agonize and quibble about it each year. In June 2017, the theme will be GENERAL ELECTRIC (GE).
At any rate, here are the Old Equipment Contest Categories for RadioActivity 2017:
RadioActivity 2017 Theme Categories:
1. GE radios pre-1936
2. GE radios post-1935
3. GE ephemera
4. Four-tube radios
5. Battery radios excluding transistor sets
6. Tiny cathedral and tombstone radios of the 1930's, less than 13" tall
7. Desk set radios
8. European radios (pre WWII)
9. Speakers and headphones
10. Red radios
13. Vacuum tubes
14. Novelty radios
15. Open category
Remember that documentation, especially noting any restoration or repair, and provenance for the item is essential for an entry to be competitive.
Entry Check-in: 9:00 - 11:00 a.m. June 16
Contest Judging: 11:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. June 16 (contest room closed)
Contest Viewing: 2:30 - 5:00 p.m., and after Banquet, June 16.
Entries should be removed by 9:00 am June 17, but we recommend after the Banquet viewing.
Notes and Guidelines
Entries (except consoles) must be able to fit on a table and take up no more than 3’ x 5’ of table space. If your entry requires a display stand, you need to provide it yourself. No mountings may be fastened to the walls. Should the contest room fill to overcrowding, the contest officials reserve the right to limit the items submitted.
1. Best of Show. The entry that, in the opinion of the judges, best represents the contest criteria.
2. People’s Choice. The OEC entry voted most popular by those who view the contest.
3. Significant Historical Merit. The entry(ies) that, in the opinion of the judges, has the most historical significance (for example, first of a kind, extreme rarity, influence on the industry, milestone event, etc.)
4. Preservation Award. Given to the entry(ies) that best emphasizes keeping the item original—no modern replacement parts, refinishing, etc.
Special awards 3 and 4 will not be given if the judges feel that no entry meets the criteria.
Contest Judging Criteria
The OEC judges use the following scoring weights.
A. [0-20 pts] General Appearance. Is item restored, cleaned, and generally presentable, or just “as-found”?
B. [0-10 pts] Item Rarity. Not as important as authenticity, but it counts for the item to be relatively hard to find.
C. [0-20 pts] Authenticity. How much of the item is demonstrably authentic and not modified? Documentation may be crucial.
D. [0-20 pts] Documentation. Ads, journal articles, books, schematics, news clips, description of historical significance of the item all help.
E. [0-20 pts] Entrant Effort. How much was done by entrant, based on item appearance and documentation.
F. [0-10 pts] Qualitative Bonus. The bonus is based on judges’ judgment and experience.
Refinements to these rules and/or the schedule, if required, may be issued well in advance of RadioActivity 2017.