Westinghouse WR-8-R Restoration

Discussion, questions, and answers on electrical and mechanical restoration of radio chassis, including parts and tubes.

Westinghouse WR-8-R Restoration

Postby dkoczur » April 21st, 2014, 1:14 pm

Have recently acquired a Westinghouse WR-8-R "Columnaire" grandfather/grandmother clock radio with remote. Unfortunately, the selector buttons and contacts, as well as the motor cam contactors and all associated wiring is missing. This is the same chassis as a Radiola 82/86. Need to discuss with some one who has this set or one of the radiolas to see if I can get some pictures or measurements on these parts. If you have one or know of anyone who does, or a museum where one exists please contact me.

Thanks

Dan Koczur
dkoczur

Re: Westinghouse WR-8-R Restoration

Postby dkoczur » November 1st, 2014, 1:39 pm

After unbolting the motor assembly and reactor unit and disconnecting the volume/power control panel the whole remote control tuning assembly came loose from the tuning capacitor. The two are connected using a set of gears. The motor gear has internal teeth and the tuning capacitor has a fiber gear mounted on the tuning capacitor. This gear was stripped and prevented the motor from driving the tuning mechanism. It will have to be replaced. I made a new gear from cast resin after making a silicon rubber mold from the motor end gear. I used Phosphor Bronze to make the contacts fro the selector switches. Buttons were turned on a lathe from a 5/16" plastic composite rod. The contacts that ride the cams were made from contacts salvaged from an old telephone switchboard multi contact lever switch. The stationary contacts were made from #4-40 Brass bolts. Interconnecting cables were made using multi-conductor cloth covered reproduction battery cable from Radio Daze. After many adjustments and tweaking, everything worked fine.
dkoczur

Re: Westinghouse WR-8-R Restoration

Postby Carlos_Lazarini » November 16th, 2014, 12:44 am

Any photo of the process and final result?
Thank you.
Carlos Lazarini
Cape Old Radio
http://www.capeoldradio.com/index.php
Carlos_Lazarini
Site Admin

Return to Old Radio Chassis Restoration